Truth Quest Update: The Holy Spirit Came
When Jesus ascended to heaven, He instructed the disciples to go to Jerusalem and wait. Jesus promised that the Holy Spirit would come upon them. So the disciples went back to Jerusalem, where they waited and prayed.
The time came for the Jewish festival called Pentecost, or the Feast of Weeks. As with the Passover festival, Jews from all over the Roman Empire would be at the temple in Jerusalem.
During this festival, the Holy Spirit came to believers in Jerusalem. They heard a sound like a violent, rushing wind. When the Holy Spirit filled the disciples, they were able to speak in foreign languages. They went out into the city and began to preach, and the Jews from all over the world were amazed. These disciples were from Galilee, but they were speaking in languages the visitors could understand.
The disciples told people about God’s plan. The Holy Spirit helped Peter teach: Jesus is the Messiah; Jesus was killed, but He is alive! (Acts 2:22-36) The Holy Spirit convicted the crowd and they asked, “Brothers, what must we do?” Peter told them to repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus. (Acts 2:37-38) That day, three thousand people received salvation!
God kept His promise to send the Holy Spirit. With the Holy Spirit’s help, Jesus’ disciples could begin their work to share the gospel with the entire world. God gives the Holy Spirit to those who trust in Jesus as Lord and Savior. The Holy Spirit gives us power to do God’s work, and He changes us to be more like Jesus.
HERE'S THE LESSON VIDEO FROM THIS WEEK:
FAMILY STARTING POINTS
● Babies and Toddlers
○ The Holy Spirit helps us.
○ God sent the Holy Spirit to Jesus’ friends.
○ Jesus’ friends told people about God’s plan.
○ People who trust in Jesus receive the Holy Spirit.
○ What does the Holy Spirit do? The Holy Spirit helps Christians.
○ The Holy Spirit came to Jesus’ followers.
○ What does the Holy Spirit do? The Holy Spirit helps Christians follow Jesus.
○ The Holy Spirit came to the apostles on the Day of Pentecost.
UNIT KEY PASSAGE
● Philippians 2:13
● “Peter Healed a Beggar” (Acts 3:1-10; 4:5-31)